| Way Out. |
| you call me a bitch like there's something wrong with that. |
| contact me: email | looking back: my archives | get your own blogger |
|
my thoughts. exactly. |
May 04, 2003 Amaaaaazing Day! What started as a gloomy, cold, and cloudy day turned out to be quite amazing. I intentionally woke up early because a friend of mine and her boyfriend were scheduled to stop by in the morning to look at our backyard and analyze the tree situation. We have a decent size backyard that barely gets sunlight because of the amount of trees on the property. My friend's bf, Steve, works for Aspen Tree Company and cuts down trees for a living. I was pretty excited about their visit because I have been wanting to get some sunlight in the backyard so I can start laying out plans for the garden. I knew beforehand that having trees cut is going to be pretty expensive but Steve's giving me a good deal on the job! So, when I come back from Miami, I can expect to continue enjoying sunlight from the comfort of my yard. I spent most of today outside. After the clouds rolled out, it got warmer and the day just got nicer and nicer. Did a lot of gardening. Finally was able to put the lilacs and roses in the ground. It was a lot of work though. I had to pull out bushes that were well established on the lawn. It's like playing tug-of-war. The bushes put up a good fight. But with the help of several instruments (an axe, shovel, shears, rake, etc...), I won. After a whole day of doing mostly yard work, went over to a couple's house about a mile away from the house. Actually, the couple owns a New Foundland dog named Nelly (short for Penelope). Tiny went to doggy school with Nelly this past January and they will be attending another class together come Tuesday. Anyway, we've arranged to get together at their house today to see how the dogs were going to react since they haven't seen each other in months. They were waaaay too happy to see each other. I was afraid that Tiny wouldn't want to leave once it was time to go. Anyway, I was a bit nervous going to this couple's (the Barretts) house. They were much older than me (they have 3 kids, all are married and with kids), so I was thinking that the visit might turn awkward. I kept on telling Tiny the whole day to make sure she behaves once we get to their place but I think I was mostly telling myself to behave because I don't really know anyone who has a dog that is Tiny's size besides this couple. And Tiny likes Nelly. Nelly likes Tiny. With any luck, we'll be welcomed back to their house for a playdate. I had some idea as far as what kind of property the Barrett's have. But I wasn't prepared with what I saw once there. Their 2.5 acre property was surrounded by 35 acres of land, all wooded, which makes it very private. Their property itself is gorgeous. They have a pond in the back rich of (striped?) bass, where their swan, Hercules graciously glides. They've got old specimen trees in different height, shape and form. There's an abundance of flowers everywhere (And Dawn said she will put aside different kinds of lilacs for me since I enjoy them so much)! The best part of it is that they have a space dedicated to the dogs - and it's big enough hold Tiny and Nelly while they chased each other around! And that's just the outside. The house itself is about 300 years old. They found it while looking through an issue of 'Historic Preservations' magazine they subscribe to. Jim was saying that the house was unlivable when they purchased it 10 years ago but with all the work they've done on it, you wouldn't have thought so. They've done an amazing job in restoring the house and clearing out and maintaining the property. Had fun at the Barrett's, both dogs and owners. Can't wait to be invited again. Of couse, we have to return the favor and have them over once all that needs to be done in the house are finished. This gives me more impetus to finish the house as quickly as possible! If not for me, I'll do it for Tiny!
G. @
5/04/2003
--
0 comment(s) --
Post a Comment
Comments:
Post a Comment
layout name: express yourself --
layout by: nyokiglitter
|