| Way Out. |
| you call me a bitch like there's something wrong with that. |
| contact me: email | looking back: my archives | get your own blogger |
|
my thoughts. exactly. |
November 21, 2002 Great Bermuda Marathon I just came back from Bermuda. I wish I can say it was all fun and games while I was there. I went there to participate in the Great Bermuda Marathon for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. It was such a very interesting, life-changing experience. Going there for me was a challenge in itself. Of course, I looked forward to the great beaches and the good food and the gorgeous scenery that Bermuda is famous for. Most of all, I looked forward to participating in the marathon. We arrived in Bermuda at 1 PM on Friday, November 15. As soon as I stepped out of the plane, I knew that the trip is going to be marvelous. There were palm trees everywhere, locals wishing me a good day, and all these men wearing a shirt, tie, jacket - and bermuda shorts. After clearing immigration, we were picked up by one of the locals to take us to our hotel, The Fairmont Hamilton Princess. I don't know how many times I shrieked during the drive to the hotel. I guess it takes a while for it to sink in that they drive on the left side of the road. I swear there were a couple of times that it looked like we were going to run into another vehicle ahead of us. But we got to the hotel without any accidents. After settling in, Ria my a good friend of mine, who happens to be my roommate for the trip, decided to stay in the room and catch up with much needed rest (she only had an hour sleep the night before). I, on the other hand, couldn't sit still knowing that there's a whole new world waiting to be explored. So I decided to check out happy hour at the hotel. It was a good thing I did coz I was able to meet other marathon participants from different parts of US and Canada. I had a martini ($13 bucks!!!) and mingled and before you know it, like Ria, I was ready to pass out - and it was only 8 P.M.! Anyway, after that early night, Ria, Dana, Annie and I headed to the Fairmont South Hampton beach. It's a ferry and shuttle ride from our hotel. Only then did I realize how gorgeous it is there. The clean beaches with pink-hued sand, the unrecognizable tropical palm trees, the clean air, the striking pastel-colored houses. Everything just seem so perfect. When we got to the beach, we noticed something odd. THERE WERE TOO MANY MEN SUNBATHING! At first I thought we stumbled upon some gay beach. But then I realized that Bermuda is hosting the Rugby championship, then it all made sense. Apparently, we were sharing the beach with the entire Argentina team, and some girls from Canada who belonged to Team Diabetes (they were also marathon participants). Dana, Annie and I (Ria can't swim) decided to hit the water and go snorkelling. It was nice to be snorkelling in November. We didn't see much, just a number of fascinating fishes that, well, found us fascinating as well. We did that for an hour and then headed back to shore and just sun bathed. After catching some sun, we headed back to the hotel and got ready for Pasta Party hosted by the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. It's a way to fatten up everyone who came for the marathon (participants, families and friends). It was a very inspiring event to say the least. There were motivational speakers, coaches, and survivors that spoke. Before the end of the night, everyone was in tears after hearing testimonials from a lady who had Lymphoma and is currently in remission, and a coach who trained an unforgettable lady who lost her battle against Leukemia. Everyone left even more motivated than when they first got to the island. Anyway, the pasta party ended at about 7:30 P.M. After that a couple of us decided to check out the street party for the Rugby championship game (it's the next day). James, a fellah from London we met when we arrived told us about it. We met up with him, Claus (a German guy who works at the Germany branch of Dana's company), and Nick and Zoe - a couple from Bermuda and are probably one of the nicest couple I've ever met. We hang out there for a couple of hours until it was time to head back to our hotel room to get some rest for our big day. Sunday started so early for us that I think I walked out of the room half asleep. We got to the lobby later than we'd like so we missed everyone that we were supposed to meet up with. We caught up with them at the starting line. It seemed like I wasn't the only one who'd rather be in bed that morning but every one did seem happy that they were out there instead of hitting the snooze button of the alarm clock in their hotel room. Before you know it, I was wide awake, getting rowdy, and anxious to start the walk. At exactly 7 A.M., everyone started down Front Street, every stride closer to the goal. I managed to stay with my group for a few minutes but eventually broke off and walked by myself. The Bermuda scene that early in the morning was so serene. It was so quiet and peaceful that it made the whole experience even more special than it was. The first few miles I didn't notice the hills but when I hit the 6th mile it seemed like I've been walking for hours! My knee started hurting when I hit the 6th mile mark. By the time I got around the 8th mile, I was already half limping. Annie (our coach) told me to slow down on the 9th mile but knowing how stubborn I am, i just pressed on which in retrospect might have contributed to my failure to complete all 26.2 miles. I walked as fast as I could and whenever I'd get on a downhill slope, I'd start running. To me, the faster I get to the destination the quicker I can rest my knee. I hurt my knee two years ago during a snowboarding trip. Ever since then it bothers me once in awhile. During training for the marathon, it didn't give me any problems until 3 weeks before the marathon. From then on it hasn't really let out. I thought maybe it's the cold weather that bothers it but it wasn't cold in Bermuda. I guess I'd have it checked if I want to do another marathon. Anyway, the marathon was a mixture of victory and defeat for me. It's a victory because I was able to experience what its like to be a part of a life-changing event - something I shall never forget. And a defeat because I was not able to complete the full marathon. But "quitters never win and winners never quit". So, you better believe I'm going to try again. I already started training again. When I hit the finish line for the half marathon, there were already people waiting to assist me off the street. I felt so disappointed that I didn't really want to wear the half marathon medal that they give you in the end. I just sat there on the side walk so upset with myself. When I finally calmed down, I just joined the crowd and cheered for the people crossing the finish line. It felt good to see people happy when they finally finished that it made me feel happy. I was in pain, but I forgot about how upset I was. The Rest of the Trip... When Ria and Dana finished a few minutes later, we decided to go back to the hotel room and get some much needed rest. I limped back with Dana (Ria went ahead before us) and we all changed into our bathing suit intending to get our rest by the pool. 15 minutes later I was back in the bedroom all plastered. We were supposed to go to a Rugby match that same night but my new friend, James forgot our room number. Dana also tried to contact us so we can join her and her coworkers but our phone was unhooked (I was half asleep when I put it back on the rack the last time she called - don't blame me!). Oh welps, another ball game I missed - sucks! Ria and I ended up going to the TNT victory party. Free food and good music - can't beat that! After the party, we got a free drink from the bar at the hotel and then hang out at the lounge for awhile to see if Dana is going to turn up. After half hour of vegging on the lounge couch, we decided to hit the bars and start looking for Dana. We ended up at this dive called "The Beach". It wasn't bad at all. After the beach, we headed to another place called Robin Hood (still Dana-less) and then we hiked back to the hotel and called it a night. Monday was pretty tame as well. We were going to hit the beach but the rain clouds started rolling in early so we just decided to do the tourist thing and went shopping. I hit all 3 cigar stores we passed by hoping to score some humidor but no luck. Anyway, after shopping we did the "Afternoon Tea" and then got ready for our last night in Bermuda. Dana, Ria and I met up for dinner with Klaus, Patrice, Peter, James, Nick, Zoe and their cute little daughter. We were in such great company that it's hard to believe I've only known some of them for a few days! I felt like I've been friends with them for a very very long time. Anyway, after dinner, we stood outside and had one of those never ending goodbyes - the one where you know you have to go but you really don't want to. Nice, unforgettable people. After dinner, a few of us headed to the "Blue Juice" bar. It was dead there but we had a great time. Of course, the night doesn't end there - I had to come up with a crazy idea on our last night in Bermuda. "How about we check out the beach?". Good thing I was with some spontaneous and open people. So we ended up hopping in a cab, headed to Elbow beach, and had the time of our lives. The people I spent the time with in Bermuda are a few of the kindest and unforgettable people I've ever known. Because of them, Bermuda will always hold a special place in my heart.
G. @
11/21/2002
--
0 comment(s) --
Post a Comment
Comments:
Post a Comment
layout name: express yourself --
layout by: nyokiglitter
|